Sunday, April 3, 2011

Sacrifice My Sleep

Me sleeping.

   Does is count if you get up early and go back to bed?  You know cause I did get up yesterday and today, but then I went back to bed.  I read my bible, prayed, then went back to sleep for 45min.  Well all that yesterday, today I knew I was going to church so I thought I'd skip it.  (not the waking up part, the bible reading part;)
   I think it should count.  Don't you?
   It could be counted as a nap, maybe. 
Seriously though, I had big plans this past week and for whatever reason it just didn't happen.  I am determined to do this, get back on the "wake up early" wagon.  Now I know that 7am is not that early to some of you, but if you know me, well then you're probably laughing.  You're laughing 'cause you've come to my house and woke me up at 9 or 10am!!
   So you see folks 7 is early in my books.  So early in fact that I have to think about it the night before and get my butt to bed before 10:30, otherwise it doesn't happen. 
  I was convinced that I needed between 9 and 10 hours of sleep.  Seriously! You could not tell me otherwise.  But you know when God moves you, calls you to action, to sacrifice, to obedience. He begins to teach you things.  Things that I'd been so sure of have started to fall apart, my closing arguments, epic fail.   Then He teaches, fills in my gaps, gently leads me in the way He wants me to go.  All the while giving me loving encouragement and assurance.  And here I find myself where I never thought I'd be, convinced that I only need 8hrs of sleep, actually wanting to get up early. Wanting to have some time with Him to myself, uninterrupted by the world that is my home.  Does He still love me if I don't make it?  Sure He does!  Can I still get through the day?  Yep, He hasn't left.  But I tell you the truth!  And you can handle the truth!  It sure feels good to be there, to be awake, to be in His word.  Just me and Him spending time.  Feels good.  Makes me smile more, makes me think more. 
   Jesus made the ultimate sacrifice to save me.  I can make a little sacrifice to spend time with Him.  Sacrifice my sleep, that's pretty big for me.  It's not easy, but I'll do it!

6 comments:

Faith and Family Reviews said...

I am doing good to get myself up at 7:30am, but my goal is 5:30-6:00am because during the summer months I want to walk before it's too hot. It's hard though when I tend to stay up too late. My teen stays up as late as us and I tend to stay up beyond that to get other things done.

I was falling asleep during our family movie time yesterday!

Anonymous said...

I love to sleep too! My daughter used to sleep till 9am (going to bed at 8pm) and I would always sleep until she woke up. Now she is waking up at 7am and i'm still trying to adjust to it. I am working on waking up at 6am so that i can get read the Bible and pray before she wakes up, while also doing that during her nap time instead of me napping.

Melissa said...

So true! Good post!

Jessica Heights said...

I'm not much of a morning person either...but getting up early certainly does make a difference!

Amy Sullivan said...

Getting up early still counts if you go back to bed!

I love the picture. It looks like my house.

Dwija {House Unseen} said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and following :) I've been seriously considering homeschooling next year (not because my girls' school isn't good, but because I want to spend more time with them!) so I'm excited to find so many other homeschooling mom bloggers to get inspiration from. Hope you have a wonderful weekend :)