Thursday, May 27, 2010

What have you been reading?

    I love books!  I'm a book hog, even if I don't think we'll read the book anytime soon I want it on my shelf. 
     Josh is in the process of building me a library because I have collected enough books to fill a room.  I haven't actually had much time for reading though.  Most days I'm lucky if a squeeze in a few bible verses. 
      I have been using a plan lately of 15min of reading my bible in the morning and 15min at night.  This gives me a full half-hour of bible reading a day.  It has been such a blessing to have that much daily bread.  I know that some of you may think it would be better to have the 30mins all at once, but the reality is that just doesn't happen for me.  With all the interruptions of children and a day that begins before my feet hit the floor. 
   Recently I was given a book called "A More Excellent Way".  It's a really good book.  I learned a lot from it.  And I have a story that I'll share with you one day that resulted from the new information I gained.  With anything you read you must pray and ask the Lord to give you only what He wants for you in that.  It was nice to have so many bible verses to pray through.   Anyway I shirked most of my house work to read it, because I just couldn't put it down. 
   Josh and I are reading together "Sheet Music".  It's a good book for married couples.  I laughed a lot, Kevin Leman has a good sense of humor, and some of the things he says made me blush.  And it's just me and Josh in the room!! hahaha
     I also read his book "Have a new kid by Friday".  I did get some useful hints out of there too.
   I won a book on a blog called "Home Comforts, the art and science of keeping house".  It sounds really boring and is about as thick as my bible!  I've only read the first little bit, but I think this will be a very useful book.  Especially considering my house keeping skills are nil!
   My very favorite moments with books are when a new box arrives full of new books I've ordered.  I have perma-grin long after they have been neatly put in there place on the shelf.
    Oh and my absolute favorite time was last month when my Mom took me and my children into her classroom, with reusable grocery bags and said "Fill up your bags with books!"  Yay!!   I think we came home with over 200 books!
  
   Really and truly my all time favorite book is my Bible.  I don't mind my NIV, I enjoy my Amplified, the Message is interesting, and King James is like Shakespeare (I like Shakespeare).  But my favorite, the one I always go to New King James.  My Bible, no matter which one, fills me up with good wholesome spirit nourishing food.  Nothing settles the mind, brings peace to my soul, or guides me with wisdom quite like the Word of God.  

2 comments:

Dawn said...

I am the same! I always have a shelf with at least 30 books on it that need to be read. Husband laughs at me but has finally put up enough shelves/library so that I have them all out of boxes!

Anonymous said...

*bliss* I "heart" books too. A delivery of books or a great find at the book store (new or especially second hand) . Hard to beat that in my mind :) Great post LL. Loved your focus on the most important book.

Laurie A.